Jon Rohan is an Engineer on the Design Systems Team at Github, building tooling for Octicons and Primer — their React component library.
Chantastic asks about his 6 year tenure at GitHub, the inspiration behind his primer.css slam poem, how their using CSS-in-JS and Lerna to structure their work, and his project Figma Actions for seamlessly building icons from Figma design files.
They discuss design apps, Monorepos, GitHub Actions, CSS-in-JS, and why you should open source your systems.
- 25: Make Brilliant Messes with Diana Mounter and Emily Plummer — Previous React Podcast episode with on Design Systems at Github
- Design Systems at GitHub — by Diana Mounter
- Primer — Resources, tooling, and design guidelines for building interfaces with GitHub’s design system
- Github Primercss.io slam poem — a pem about Primer by Jon Rohan
- Styled System — Style props for rapid UI development
- Emotion — CSS-in-JS library designed for high performance style composition
- styled components — Visual primitives for the component age
- Github Octicons — Your project. GitHub's icons
- FAMFAMFAM — Silk
- Figma — A better way to design
- Figma Developer API
- GitHub Actions — Focus on what matters: code
- Figma Action — GitHub action for exporting Figma components
- Monorepo — a software development strategy where code for many projects are stored in the same repository
- Primer Community on Spectrum
Infinite Red has been designing, shipping and building web and mobile apps for 10 years.
They're experts in React Native and host North America's only React Native conference, Chain React, educating thousands of developers all over the world.
Start a new project with them, mention this show, and get two free tickets to the Chain React in Portland.
They're also a passionate advocate of remote work.
They believe you can build a thriving remote company without sacrificing culture.
Read the handbook on how to travel the road less commuted.
Get The Remote Work handbook at remote.infinite.red.